Thursday, April 26, 2007

Ugh!

Well, still sick, but getting better. I've got this nagging sniffle and sneeze problem, which may be partially due to pollen-things JUST started sprouting full time around here due to the wonderful 70 degree plus weather.

Well, the layout class I teach at the college is almost finished- only two more weeks left in the semester. I feel really good about the teaching I did there- many of the kids understood more about layout than when they started the class, I think. I fulfilled my syllabus, and I am confident to turn in the good grades the kids that attended my class earned. I hope very much the lady that runs the program asks me to return in the fall.

But please, please, let me teach Illustrator!!!

It's a shame, though, most kids that take these classes are just seeing if this is something they'd like to do with their lives. I started with 16 or 18 kids, and it dwindled down, down, to about 10. I spoke to them last night, and they are all going through the same struggles I did- they are artists, want to do somethng creative, but dont want to "waste" 4 years of college money on something that won't get them a job they'd be ok doing. What writer wants to make technical manuals forever? what artist wants to design employee handbooks, what musician wants to play weddings, or what photographer wants to take pictures of people at Sears?

I suppose today's kids worry more about practicality than anything else, at least in Community College. Maybe that's the nature of the beast.

No comments: